Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More Baking

 I swear, I could bake every day.

Before I got married and had lotsa babies, my older sister and I {half} joked that we'd open our own bakery one day.  I'll be honest, I still dream about it from time to time.

My favorites are hand-held desserts ;)

Cookies, Bars, Brownies . . .
and a new favorite:

Hand Pies.

Seriously delish, y'all.

I looked all over for a recipe that didn't seem too time consuming {I don't have a lot of extra time, don'tcha know}, and every crust recipe I found seemed so overly fussy.  I don't like fussy.

So I kinda just made my own.

I took:

2 sticks of butter {I used sweet cream, everyone else uses unsalted, apparently}
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 Tbsps. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsps. Cinnamon
1/2 cup Buttermilk

Baking001

I cut the butter into a million pieces and combined with the remaining ingredients, leaving the buttermilk for last.  It took awhile to combine to my liking.
Then I sprinkled flour on my counter, rolled out the dough, and cut a bunch of circles with a biscuit cutter.  Then I rolled those circles a little thinner {'cuz they were teeny tiny}.  I set those aside, preheated my oven to 375 degrees, and got to work on the fruit filling.

We had about 425 million apples lying around after making cider, so I peeled, cored, and diced some of those, mixed in a few Tablespoons of sugar, sprinkled on some cinnamon, and even drizzled a little sweetened condensed milk on top.

I wanted a variety of pies, and had some blackberries left over from summer blackberry picking, so I tossed some of those in a bowl with a sprinkling of sugar as well.

Next, I spread some filling on the dough . . .


Baking002  

And then I folded them over, sealed with a fork, and sprinkled with decorative sugar crystals.
 
Baking003  
 
 Would you believe I didn't get a picture of them when they were finished?  You would if you'd tasted them. They were so delicious, we ate 'em all up!

Don't judge, but the last time I went grocery shopping, I picked up some pre-made pie dough, and I thought I'd try them using that.  How quick and simple would that be?!

 
post signature
 
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments :

Jessica said...

Yummy!! : )

Anonymous said...

My sister worked in a bakery for 6 years. When she was in college, the owner offered to sell it to her. She turned him down b/c she didn't want to be tied to one city. But she says it's now her dream to own her own bakery one day. I told her if that ever happens, I'll move to wherever she is and be her waitress. And taste-tester, of course. ;o)

Xazmin said...

I'm jealous of your ability to just "make something up"!

I've always wished I could do that! Only with cooking. I love cooking. I don't really enjoy baking - is that weird?

Anyway, I hope you and your family are doing well!

Jenny said...

Those look adorable!

My cousin and I used to talk about how we'd start an interior design business. She majored in business, so she'd do that side of the company mostly. We were going to specialize in baby nurseries. We had a name too. LOL!

marie said...

I do believe it because I do the same thing - all the time. I make something so delicious and then whoops, it's all eaten before I remember to snap a pic. I am just in such a hurry to get it in my mouth I guess.

Colleen said...

I don't know how you bake so much and stay so skinny!

Connie said...

I bought a little pie press a few months ago and I need to use it! That dough recipe sounds yummy.

Kelli W said...

Those look so good! I've done some kind of like that before with store bought dough and they were pretty good...but I bet your homemade dough was so much better! I always joked about opening a bakery too. But then I remembered that you have to get up SUPER early to start all the baking and figure that wouldn't last long:)

Kelli said...

Ooh Liz...pie is my fave (not a cake fan). I wish I had such a love for baking. Yum!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin