Friday, November 13, 2009

Countdown to Christmas, Kids' Creations

As the girls get a little older and are more capable {and willing!} to help out with crafts and projects, each holiday becomes more fun and exciting because more of us are involved.

This year, the holidays are bound to be more exciting than ever before. We've added another little blessing to our family, and Sierra and Makenna are both old enough to truly understand the spirit of the season.

So, I started thinking. I want to do something special each day leading up to Christmas, starting December 1st. Whether it be a craft, a project, a special outing, baking cookies and other treats, or a simple coloring page. It doesn't have to be BIG, just a little something extra.

I have a few ideas already.

Each year we choose a new holiday outing. Last year it was the Pittock Mansion, the year before we went to The Nutcracker, and the year before that it was a train ride on the Polar Express. This year we're taking it down a notch. I think our plan is to pick up my mom and my mom-in-law to go see the new Disney princess movie. We'll probably dress up the girls, and maybe have brunch. So that takes care of one day ;)

I have several crafts lined up as well. Ornament making, fridge magnets, the usual. And I know we'll be doing plenty of baking. Plus this super amazing project that the gorgeous Jen from Tatertots and Jello posted about. Of course, that will need to be completed before December 1st. Anyway.

Here's where you all come in ;)

Do you have any fabulous {kid-friendly} ideas? Any great crafts up your sleeve this holiday season? And if so, is anyone interested in linking up each week to show off the fabulousness {is too a word} of said creations? Let me know whatchyer thinkin'!

post signature

11 comments :

He & Me + 3 said...

Sounds like a great idea. I will have to think of some crafts.

onegirliegirl said...

I am drawing a complete blank, but I just saw on someone's blog a great and easy Christmas Tree craft for all ages.

Take Christmas-y paper and cut into strips of different lengths, the longest being about 4 - 5 inches. Then make a few graduated shorter strips to form the shape of a Tree as you glue/paste them upward. (So it looks like a triangle made from strips of paper.) And top with a star/angel...drawn/cut-out/sticker...whatever.

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a pic of it to send you.

I'd love to see a link up of crafts...just don't know how crafty I am :)

xoxo ~Lisa

Rhonda said...

Love the idea! I'll be thinking too! Yes, I would love to make that great idea from Jen too!

Sounds like a great plan!

Oh, totally off subject... I colored my own hair. It turned out pretty good if I may say so. Thanks for your tips and encouragement. This is going to save me a ton of money!

Foursons said...

I do this too every December but it all revolves around Christmas activities and nothing is too expensive. When I get my list written I'll post it so you can see if you like any of the ideas.

Heidi Boos said...

I "attempted" this last year, but my husband and I went our 5th year anniversary vacation in mid-December, so I then changed my idea to 12 Days of Christmas activities for after we got back (leading up to Christmas). Well, that got postponed as well because of SNOW!! So...all that to say, I have it on the agenda for this year. Check out last year's post for what I would had thought: http://blueeyedblessings.blogspot.com/2008/12/12-days-of-christmas-rescheduled-for.html

My mom made us an advent calendar last year that I plan to put little slips of paper in the pockets to reveal that day's activity. It's so great we're thinking ahead! ;) I'd love to join in if you choose to do this each week.

Heidi Boos said...

Oh, by the way...I LOVE the idea of taking the girls to see the new princess movie. I might do that with our good friends as our Christmas gift to each other.

Unknown said...

We do this every year as well, but add in some small things like reading Christmas Tales (The Polar Express & The NIght Before Christmas are our favs), drinking hot cocoa, and looking at pictures of Christmas in the past. We always start the season off by reading about the first Christmas in the Bible and we try to incorporate as many community things as possible, like holiday bazaars, driving around to look at the lights, or Christmas plays or parades.

Have fun- we love the month of December!

~Becca

Connie said...

We have elves that come to visit and they do or bring something for the kids most everyday.

I'm devoting today to getting my poop in a group and I'm planning to post my Christmas update today.

I'd love to do a weekly update or what we are doing through the month of December. Last year I updated the doings of the elves once a week and it was really fun.

Can't wait to see what crafts you come up with because I will need some ideas.

~~Mel~~ said...

I think you should Google "Christmas Craft Ideas" and see what comes up...I bet a ton of great ideas...google is my best friend lol.

J.J. said...

Ohhh! I can;t wait to join in! I have got my hot chocolate ready and Christmas music...well I'll have to get that ready...so I can look at all the lovely ideas! I will get my projects all ready, too. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Liz, you are such a good mom!! I look forward to being a part of your holiday plans. Yes, let's get dressed up!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin